The Hallowe'en debate begins

I've noticed some people are getting an early start on debating about Hallowe'en.  So I'm going to come out and ask it:  what's the harm?

I realize Hallowe'en is a pagan holiday but most of the holidays on the calendar are!  Many of the holidays that are celebrated in the U.S. are based on Pagan holidays or major events.  I can't remember off hand but aren't the days of our week also named after Pagan names?  I forget.

Before anyone decides to come after me saying that the Pagans used to do this, this, and this, may I have some evidence to back it up please?  I've heard all these horrible claims and yet no one can back it up.

I realize and know the Celts beheaded their enemies.  They beheaded them because they believed that the soul resided in the head and by beheading you "captured" the soul.  Cultures all over the world have been doing that or something similar for centuries!  This isn't a single group doing this.

Around Hallowe'en you do see a lot of the scary stuff out in yards.  My personal favorite is four skeletons up on a roof with beers and looking like they're playing cards.

However, most people are more than happy to show small children that it's just a hunk of painted plastic and it can't hurt them.

What's the harm of parents going out with their kids and trick-or-treating?  Our childhood only lasts for so long and once it's over it's over.  Shouldn't we also be having fun during those years?

I happen to love Hallowe'en.  I think it's a great holiday and lots of fun.

I've completed my Hallowe'en costume but need to get someone to take pictures of me in costume.

Until next time:  One Hallowe'en story I remember...  A family a few houses down had this mechanical hand  It looked like a real hand that was coming out of the ground.  It didn't do much other than move slightly.  One time, when coming back from trick-or-treating, I saw the hand flipping the bird.  Being seven I asked what it meant.  I didn't get an answer then but was wondering why Mom was chuckling off and on during the night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Danbury Mint Titanic "Rose" doll: a review

My review of the Franklin Mint flying Rose doll

A League of Their Own costume Hallowe'en costume, Part Two: Mockup